Publish an iCal calendar
What you can learn in this topic:
You can publish to a Trumba® calendar any iCal calendar that you can edit. For an overview of how publishing works, see Overview: iCal subscribe and publish.
Best practices for publishing iCal calendars to Trumba Connect
When you publish an iCal calendar to Trumba Connect, the iCal calendar is the active calendar. The published Trumba calendar is just a passive recipient of events from iCal. Any event information on the Trumba calendar that doesn't appear on the iCal calendar is deleted when you publish.
Because of this active/passive relationship, we recommend the following:
- Before you publish, create a new blank calendar in Trumba Connect and publish the iCal events to that blank calendar.
- Give the Trumba calendar a name that reminds you that it is not an active calendar that you update. For example, you might name the calendar Copy iCalcalendarname, where iCalcalendarname is the calendar's name in iCal.
How to publish an iCal calendar to Trumba Connect
- In Trumba Connect, under Calendar Tasks, click Create a new calendar.
- In the Calendar Name section of the Settings form, type a Calendar name and a Web name.
If you aren't sure how to find the Web name, see Find a calendar's web name.
- Choose any other options you want, and then click OK.
- In iCal, on the Calendar menu, click Publish.
- In the dialog box, for:
Publish calendar as, type the Web name for the calendar you just created in Trumba Connect.
Publish on, choose a Private Server.
Base URL, type http://www.trumba.com/service.
Login and Password, type your Trumba Connect sign in email address and password.
- Click Publish.
Events from the iCal calendar appear on the new Trumba calendar.
Notes about refreshing published calendars
- To add or update events after the calendar is published, make changes in iCal and refresh. If you make changes in Trumba Connect, they'll be deleted next time you refresh from iCal.
- If you get an error when you try to refresh a calendar you published to Trumba Connect, wait about 10 or 15 minutes and try refreshing again. Trumba Connect limits the frequency with which you can update a published calendar.
iCal features not supported by Trumba Connect
When you publish an iCal calendar to Trumba Connect, most of the information publishes successfully. Some iCal features that are not fully supported are listed in the following table.
|iCal feature||Example||In Trumba Connect|
|To Do list||Tasks, completed status||Information doesn't appear
|Categories||Vacation, Personal, Travel||Information doesn't appear
|Attendee||People attending event||Information doesn't appear
|Organizer||Who created the event||Information doesn't appear
|Free/busy status||Hidden event titles and notes||Event descriptions appear as [No event description]
|Daily repeating events restricted to specific days of the week||An event that occurs on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday||Only the event on the earliest day of the week appears
||Daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly repeating events restricted to specific months||An event that occurs weekly in February, July, and November||Only the event in the earliest month of the year appears
|Monthly or yearly repeating events restricted to specific days in a specific month||An event that occurs on the 1st and 15th of the month||Only the event on the earliest day of the month appears