What you can learn in this topic:
When to export a calendar
You might want to export a Trumba® calendar's events for a couple of reasons:
- To import the calendar's events into a calendar you created in another program, such as Microsoft® Office Outlook®, Apple® iCal®, Yahoo! Calendar, or Mozilla Sunbird.
- To create backup copies of your calendar data.
Avoid export surprises
When you export events from a Trumba calendar, all of the information about each event gets exported. For example, in addition to start and end dates and times and the event description, location information and notes are also exported.
However, keep these things in mind when exporting:
- If you're exporting a calendar that has events from other calendars mixed in, the mixed in events don't export. To export events from mixed-in calendars, export each mixed-in calendar separately.
- Depending upon which export file format you choose, repeating events may be exported as a series of individual events rather than as one event with repeating instances.
File formats you can export to
When you export a Trumba calendar, you can choose between two file formats:
- iCalendar (.ics)
iCalendar is a standard calendar format that enables sharing of calendars through the Internet between web sites and personal calendar programs. You can import .ics files into iCal, Sunbird, and other programs.
iCalendar format supports repeating events and custom field data. If you're backing up your Trumba calendar data or you know that the program you'll be importing the calendar data into supports .ics, this is the best format to choose.
- Comma Separated Values (.csv)
Comma Separated Values format is a simple, tabular file format in which fields containing data are separated by commas. You can import .csv files into Outlook, Yahoo Calendar, and other programs.
Some calendar programs can import .csv files but not .ics files. However, .csv format does not support repeating events. Each instance of a repeating event from your Trumba calendars will be stored in the exported .csv file as a separate event.
How to export Trumba calendars
- Display the calendar that you want to export.
- In the Calendar Tasks list to the left of your calendar, click Export this calendar.
- On the Export calendar screen, click Download calendar as an ICS file or Download calendar as a CSV file.
- In the dialog box, choose Save to save the exported file to your computer.
- Open the program into which you want to import the exported events, and follow that program's instructions for importing a file.
Tip If you use the Microsoft® Internet Explorer or FireFox® browser, you can quickly export an .ics file by clicking the iCal button at the top right corner of the displayed calendar. When you're prompted to Open or Save the file, click Save.